About Me

My photo
I have actively practiced as a Holistic Health Practitioner (HHP) and massage therapist since 1993 with special interest and training in the Vodder method of Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) technique. My experience is with lymphedema disease, edema in general, pre- and post-surgery massage, cosmetic surgery edema  and more.   My search for a low or non impact movement modality led me to become a certified trainer in the GYROTONIC EXPANSION SYSTEM® I have found it to be a helpful movement modality to stimulate the Lymphatic system and other stagnation out of the body. The Gyrotonic method is the base for movement sessions used at the office. Palliative care is another direction of great interest, as many of my clients are in disease states.  My mission is to provide compassionate care and resources for my clients.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Abdominal Massage

Abdominal massage, as the name indicates, is massage that focuses on the abdomen. Generally it is a slow, careful and detailed massage with the therapist working gently through all the layers of the abdomen, from the skin and superficial muscles to the intestines, other abdominal organs and the deep muscles.

The purpose of abdominal massage is to release cramped muscles, improve lymph circulation on both the superficial and deep levels, remove adhesions and contractures and stimulate peristalsis in the intestines.

The muscles of the abdomen are considered to be the core muscles of the body. They contribute to both balance and movement, and connect the lower limbs to the hips and spine. If the muscles of the abdomen are relaxed and toned, your posture is better, you have greater freedom of movement and more stability. Tight muscles in the abdomen cause low back pain, awkward balance and more stress on the hips, knees and back.

Superficial and deep lymph circulation meet in the abdomen. Most of your lymphatic vessels are superficial, just under the skin, and help to protect you from invasive disease-causing organisms. At two important locations -- in the nodes located in the neck and in the abdomen -- superficial lymph vessels connect to deep lymph vessels, which also drain the internal organs. Abdominal lymph massage helps to stimulate movement of lymph through both levels and helps to empty lymph out of the largest lymph vessel -- the thoracic duct -- back into the blood stream.

Layers of tissue in the abdomen -- muscles, connective tissue and organs -- are lubricated and meant to slide easily against each other. An adhesion is scar tissue between two layers, preventing them from moving easily. Adhesions are due to infection, dehydration, injury, surgery or radiation. Abdominal massage helps to release adhesions and to help abdominal tissues slide freely against each other again.

An important benefit of abdominal massage is that it stimulates peristalsis. Peristalsis is the rhythmic contraction of smooth muscle cells in the walls of vessels and intestines. On the microscopic level abdominal massage helps to stimulate lymphatic peristalsis, which is also called the lymphatic pump. This gets lymph vessels to working on their own, moving lymph fluid through the nodes and back into circulation. On a larger level, abdominal massage helps to stimulate intestinal peristalsis, which can help if you have constipation or intestinal spasms.





3 comments:

  1. No doubt this is an excellent post I got a lot of knowledge after reading good luck. Theme of blog is excellent there is almost everything to read, Brilliant post.
    Manual Lymph Drainage

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Autism,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia,Love Spell,Prostate Cancer,Lung Cancer,Glaucoma.,psoriasis,Cirrhosis of Liver, Cataracts,Macular degeneration, Infectious mononucleosis.,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis,
    Dementia.,Tach Disease,Breast Cancer,Blood Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Love Spell,Chronic Diarrhea,Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Weak Erection,Breast Enlargment,Penis Enlargment,Hpv,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ . I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m here to testify about what Dr James  did for me. I have been suffering from (GENITAL HERPES VIRUS) disease for the past 4 years and had constant pain and itching, especially in my private part. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be cured someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and I have been taking treatment from my doctor nothing is working out, few weeks ago I came across a testimony of Pedro, on the internet testifying about a Herbalist called Dr James from West Africa, on how he cured Him from 7 years HSV 2. And He also gave the email address of this man... [drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com]..., advising anybody to contact him for help on any kind of diseases that he would be of help, so I emailed him telling him about my (HSV 2) he told me not to worry that I'm going to be cured!! Well, I never doubted him. I have faith he can cure me too,, Dr James prepared and sent me Healing Oil, Soap, roots and herbs which I took. In the first one week, I started experiencing changes all over me, after four weeks of using his Roots/ Herbs, Oil and Soap, I was totally cured. no more itching , pain on me anymore as Dr James assured me. After some time I went to my doctor to do another test. the result came out negative. So friends my advice is if you have such disease or know anyone who suffers from it or any other disease like  HPV, HBV, HIV/AIDS, ALS, HBP, CANCER,NEPHROTIC SYNDROME, etc. you can contact Dr James herbal mixed  the home of wellness direct on his.... drjamesherbalmix@gamil.com...  He is a good man,and He will help you.

    ReplyDelete