About Me

My photo
I have actively practiced as a Holistic Health Practitioner (HHP) and massage therapist since 1993 with special interest and training in the Vodder method of Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) technique. My experience is with lymphedema disease, edema in general, pre- and post-surgery massage, cosmetic surgery edema  and more.   My search for a low or non impact movement modality led me to become a certified trainer in the GYROTONIC EXPANSION SYSTEM® I have found it to be a helpful movement modality to stimulate the Lymphatic system and other stagnation out of the body. The Gyrotonic method is the base for movement sessions used at the office. Palliative care is another direction of great interest, as many of my clients are in disease states.  My mission is to provide compassionate care and resources for my clients.

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Can MLD Be Harmful?

For the most part lymphatic drainage massage is safe. However as with all massage therapies there are some contraindications. For lymphatic massage specifically, these include acute inflammation, malignant tumors, thrombosis and major heart problems. However, it is safe and beneficial for many other serious health problems, including cancer. Consult your doctor for specific concerns, and discuss your concerns with your massage therapist as well. For instance, your doctor may tell you lymph massage is beneficial during radiation therapy but may want you to hold off during chemotherapy. You, your doctor and your therapist should work as a team if you have a serious illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment